Sadly, most drivers kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and 38% of drivers have never shopped around. Drivers in Ohio could save an average of up to $700 each year, but they just don't want to find cheap insurance by shopping around.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from different companies who can sell car insurance in Cincinnati. This can be done by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn about individual coverages and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many things that result in higher rates like speeding and a low credit score can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides information to get cheaper rates and find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new insurance company. Once the application is submitted, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance with your vehicle's registration.
An essential thing to point out is that you use similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
Discounts can help lower premiums on Chevy Silverado insurance in Cincinnati
Auto insurance companies don't list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy Cincinnati car insurance online.
- Student Discounts - A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Cincinnati car insurance quote. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Driving Data Discount - Drivers who elect to allow their company to monitor their driving habits by using a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Online Discount - Many larger companies may give you up to $50 for signing up on the web.
- Government Employees - Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% but check with your company.
- Own a Home and Save - Just owning your own home can help you save on car insurance since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- Payment Method - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Driver's Education for Students - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Factory air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
A quick disclaimer, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates you could get a free car insurance policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
The illustration below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. Data assumes a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Ohio state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
Popular car insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm discounts include defensive driving training, student away at school, accident-free, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, online signing, homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife may have discounts that include claim-free, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, good driver, and multi-policy.
- Farm Bureau has savings for multi-vehicle, safe driver, renewal discount, driver training, youthful driver, multi-policy, and good student.
- GEICO offers discounts for driver training, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, seat belt use, anti-theft, military active duty, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO has discounts for bundle discounts, safe driver, anti-theft, drive less, accident prevention training, multi-car, and teen safety rewards.
Double check with every prospective company which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts may not apply in Cincinnati. To find insurers with the best Chevy Silverado insurance discounts in Ohio, click here.
Where can I get affordable Cincinnati Chevy Silverado insurance?
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is pretty simple and can save money. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing free Cincinnati car insurance quotes from different insurance companies.
Getting free rates online is quite simple, and it replaces the need to make phone calls or go to and from local Cincinnati insurance agencies. The internet eliminates the middleman unless you have a complicated situation and need the advice and guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to price shop your coverage online but buy the policy through an agent.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Cincinnati, OH. To find cheap car insurance in Cincinnati, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
Car insurance statistics and figures
The data table below covers estimates of insurance prices for Chevy Silverado models. Having a good grasp of how rates are figured can be useful when making decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$92||$150||$262||$16||$78||$598||$50|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$92||$150||$232||$14||$70||$558||$47|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$106||$182||$262||$16||$78||$644||$54|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$106||$182||$262||$16||$78||$644||$54|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$106||$182||$232||$14||$70||$604||$50|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$106||$182||$232||$14||$70||$604||$50|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$106||$182||$262||$16||$78||$644||$54|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$106||$182||$262||$16||$78||$644||$54|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$118||$214||$232||$14||$70||$648||$54|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$118||$214||$262||$16||$78||$688||$57|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$118||$214||$232||$14||$70||$648||$54|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$118||$214||$262||$16||$78||$688||$57|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$118||$214||$262||$16||$78||$688||$57|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$118||$214||$232||$14||$70||$648||$54|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$118||$214||$262||$16||$78||$688||$57|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$118||$214||$232||$14||$70||$648||$54|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$118||$248||$232||$14||$70||$682||$57|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$132||$248||$232||$14||$70||$696||$58|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Ohio minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in specific zip code location which can revise insurance rates noticeably.
The example below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can impact Chevy Silverado premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
How accidents and tickets impact rates in Cincinnati
The chart below shows how traffic citations and accident claims can impact Chevy Silverado insurance costs for each age group. Data assumes a single male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Silverado liability-only versus full coverage
The chart below illustrates the difference between Chevy Silverado yearly insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no exact rule for eliminating comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Chevy Silverado claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your deductible. If premium cost is more than $600 annually for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Buy More Affordable Car Insurance with These Tips
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
Small claims can cost you - Auto insurance companies in Ohio give most affordable rates to people who are not frequent claim filers. If you file a lot of claims you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is intended for larger claims.
Don't cancel your policy without a new one in place - Not having insurance can get your license suspended and companies may charge more for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may then have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Ohio department of motor vehicles.
Teenagers are high risk - Drivers with little experience have been known to be inattentive and easily distracted behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Having to add a beginning driver onto your car insurance can be very expensive. Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and receive fewer citations.
The data below is based on a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Being married can lower prices - Being married helps lower the price compared to being single. Marriage translates into being less irresponsible and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
Your car's features help determine rates - Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your premiums. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
More traffic equals higher costs - Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has it's advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer people corresponds to lower accident rates as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Ohio areas tend to have more aggressive driving styles and more time behind the wheel. Spending more time driving means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Your occupation can affect rates - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupational choices like military personnel, executives, and stock brokers tend to pay higher premium rates in part from intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. Other occupations such as scientists, historians and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
Safer the car lower the rate - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safer cars reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the Chevy Silverado has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
Claims statistics for a Chevy Silverado - Auto insurance companies use statistical claims data when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that tend to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The data below shows the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles. For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Specific Chevrolet Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD||76||118||85||78||69||125|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD||60||76||72||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||89||103||131||77||70||94|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||96||105||116||57||57||87|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||90||126||100||88||85||117|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||84||98||89||60||60||88|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD||60||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD||66||97||66|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||76||127||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||88||114||97||45||42||82|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD||80||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||79||105||83||37||43||75|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||98||127||108||54||39||76|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD||129||127|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local Cincinnati car insurance agents
Many people still prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get lower prices and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to companies in Cincinnati who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to you. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you can always go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking an provider is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
Auto insurance in Ohio serves several purposes
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Cincinnati, auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Ohio these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's most likely the lender will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, your auto insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $850 per year so shop around at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Don't give up on cheap rates
In this article, we presented a lot of ways to shop for Chevy Silverado insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
When getting Cincinnati car insurance quotes online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to find out that they should have had better coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More information can be read at these links:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Young Drivers in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Electric Cars in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with a DUI in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Teenage Females in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for College Graduates in Cincinnati? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)